Board Membership and Composition
The BHCRI Board of Directors is composed of:
3 members from discovery/experimental research
3 members from clinical/translational research
2 members from population health research
2 members from behavioural research (to be interpreted broadly)
2 members from locally active supporting organizations
2 members from nationally active supporting organizations
4 members from the lay/business community
with significant representation of all four Atlantic Provinces
Members of the BHCRI Board of Directors:
- Mr. Chris MacDougall, Chair, Businessman, Truro, NS
Chris MacDougall, a former Truro lawyer, is the owner and operator of a Tim Horton’s Restaurant in Elmsdale, Nova Scotia. He received a Degree in Business Administration from Acadia University in 1976 and in 1980, he obtained a Degree in Law from Dalhousie University. Chris currently lives in Truro and has been very active in community affairs, having recently chaired a $26 million fundraising campaign for a new Regional Hospital.
- Mr. William (Bill) Bean, President and CEO, QEll Foundation, Halifax, NS
- Ms. Pam Steeves Bowman, United Church Minister, Sackville, NB
Pam is a 15-year breast cancer survivor and has participated in 2 clinical trials. She coaches and paddles with ‘tit Bateau, Southeast New Brunswick’s Breast Cancer Survivor Dragonboat Team and with Dragonbeasts Gold in Dartmouth. This past summer her teams competed in 7 festivals, resulting in 5 new medals. She also enjoys skiing, golfing, basket weaving, travelling, knitting and reading. Pam has worked in ministry for The United Church of Canada since 1987, and is now working part-time at the McCully Pastoral Charge, UCC, near Amherst, Nova Scotia. She is also Secretary of the Sackville Rotary Club in Sackville, New Brunswick where she currently resides.
- Ms. Alison C. Edwards, Executive Director, Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation, Halifax, NS
After graduating from Dalhousie University with a BSc and an MBA, Alison Edwards began working in the ancillary services area of the university. In 1990 she first joined the Faculty of Medicine as Administrator for the Department of Family Medicine. Eight years later she moved to the Dean of Medicine Office to assume the role of Director of Finance. While working in this role she obtained her CGA designation with honours in 2002. In 2005, Ms. Edwards became the third Executive Director of the Brain Repair Centre and in 2008 she became the third Executive Director of Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation. Ms. Edwards claims to be a navy brat, having been transferred all over Canada, the US and Europe with a military father. However, Halifax, Nova Scotia has become her permanent home with husband Perry Smith.
- Dr. Conrad Fernandez, Department of Pediatrics, IWK Health Centre, Halifax, NS
- Dr. Grace Johnston, School of Health Administration, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
- Dr. Eshwar Kumar, Co-CEO, New Brunswick Cancer Network, Fredericton, NB
- Dr. Joy McCarthy, Department of Medical Oncology, Memorial University, St. John's, NL
Dr. Joy McCarthy is a Medical Oncologist and Director of Clinical Trials with the Cancer Care Program of Eastern Health in St. John’s and a Clinical Associate Professor within the Department of Medicine at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Dr. McCarthy completed her Medical Degree at Memorial University of Newfoundland in 1996 and obtained certifications in Internal Medicine in 2000 and Medical Oncology in 2001. Her areas of interest include breast, genitourinary and head and neck cancer. She is the Chair of the Multidisciplinary Tumour Board Rounds, a member of the Cancer Care Program’s Leadership Team and Clinical Trials Committee and is a Kidney Cancer Canada Board member. Dr. McCarthy has three children, two boys and a girl, and is an avid runner and weight-trainer.
- Dr. Deborah McLeod, Clinician Scientist, QEll Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, NS
- Ms. Anne McTiernan, CEO, Canadian Cancer Society New Brunswick, Saint John, NB
- Dr. Baukje (Bo) Miedema, Family Medicine Teaching Unit, Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital, Fredericton, NB
- Dr. Rodney Ouellette, President and Scientific Director, Atlantic Cancer Research Institute, Moncton, NB
- Mr. Ray Smallwood, First Vice President and Investment Advisor, Wood Gundy, St. John's, NL
- Ms. Heather Strong, Provincial Director, The Terry Fox Foundation, St. John's, NL
Heather Strong is in her 6th year as Newfoundland and Labrador’s provincial director of The Terry Fox Foundation. Throughout this time, event revenues and participation rates across her province have climbed steadily. While The Foundation is proudly positioned among the lowest expense ratios in the non-profit sector, Heather and just 32 colleagues across this country oversee the thousands of events in hundreds of communities, generating over $20M annually for cancer research. Heather is a national caliber curler, representing her province at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts - Canadian Women’s Curling Championships nine times. She also proudly co-parents a cat and two Bernese Mountain Dogs.
- Mr. Daniel Tweel, Lawyer, Tweel Law, Charlottetown, PE
- Dr. David Waisman, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
- Dr. Peter Wang, Division of Community Health and Humanities (Epidemiology), Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University, St. John's, NL
- Dr. Terry-Lynn Young, Discipline of Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University, St. John's, NL